Survivor and Big Brother suck

My views on Survivor becoming more woke are reflected mostly here by these stupidpol redditors https://www.reddit.com/r/stupidpol/comments/jracd2/cbs_reality_shows_must_now_have_50_nonwhite_casts/

I feel that if Survivor wants to increase diversity without backlash from normies then it should just replace racial quotas with Positive action . Positive action is much better than the racial quota 'diversity pledge' casting they have done

I will say that I would only support Survivor using racial quotas if blacks were the vast majority on Survivor each season the same way that whites were the vast majority on Survivor from Survivor Borneo through Survivor Panama. If you want quotas with adding more poc, then make poc the vast majority, otherwise NO QUOTAS

I agree. I'm okay with the basic idea of giving more representation in media to smaller demographics and fixating on exact numbers is fucking stupid. It forces us to play the exact game we want to avoid of only allowing people to be valued by their race or whatever identity instead of actual qualities.

The problem is that the equality folks only play this identity game with people who align with them politically or in their same class. At the peak of civil rights, Malcolm X was taken seriously and given a voice in multiple debates on mainstream media. Sure he was hated, but I really don't see anyone with his politics on mainstream media now. Someone who says something they dislike against the class power structure is buried and called all kind of vile names. This shit is obviously all fake equality shoved down our throats and nothing else. (from Stupidpol)

On Survivor 42 Drea situation, I kind of agree with this article: https://theconversation.com/yall-are-coming-at-this-like-were-racists-how-survivor-highlights-the-pulse-of-socialization-182738   in that if it was played out like the Conversation said it should have, I could have found a way to spin that as good. 

But that is not what happened, Survivor 42 handled it , not the way above (which with a little spinning by myself I could have found as good), but in the most woke, toxic, divisive, virtue signaling, anti human way possible and my further thoughts on that are reflected here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoaB1obLX4

Now I read this and I am glad someone like said poster dmcarefuldriver can be persuaded to be cool with the Drea situation in that episode and what she was trying to say:

from https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/ug6kbx/drea_changed_my_views_on_race/

"Drea is one of my favorite new players in years. She is smart, gorgeous, and has a super cool personality. I love the way she combines her strong demeanor with very innocent humor, such as in this confessional, post idol find: "We're just as good as men. Probably better actually, we're better than men! ... Sorry." The way she says that and many other things is really funny and endearing to me. (That's episode 5, 11:25 if you want to rewatch)


Now onto the last tribal. Maryanne announces that she cannot be a part of voting out three Black people in a row, and Jonathan takes this as her calling him racist. That was essentially my reaction as well. I have leaned conservative politically in recent years, and have been lectured repeatedly by people I follow that talking about race is only used for destructive purposes like self-victimization and attacking others. At times this seemed to me to be an oversimplification, but in this hyper-polarized political climate, it was easy to straw-man opposing views and remain locked into my ideological team.


Back to the tribal. Drea responds to Jonathan, "you are not that (racist) person. I love you, I adore you ... But this happens all the time, where we speak, and then we get shut down as if we're calling everyone racist, and I'm not." In that moment, it suddenly clicked for me. Maryanne and Drea talking about their experiences as Black women, and how that affects how they play Survivor (or do anything else in life) is not an attack against others, nor an attempt to earn pity. It's just them speaking honestly about their unique experiences. I have never been in their shoes, and cannot truly know what it's like to feel that others may be subconsciously biased against you due to your race. (And as Drea then explained, this empirically has happened in Survivor as well).


Hearing Drea say these things was totally different for me than hearing them from an activist or a politician. She's just a normal person who was brave enough to go on this insane show that strips you to your core, physically but also emotionally. Somehow, I had seen enough of her on my TV screen to really care about and listen to her as she expressed thoughts that were completely contrary to mine. And seeing how emotional it was for her, I just wanted to reach through the screen and give her a hug. And to then apologize to everyone different from me whose experiences I've been dismissive of in the past. I'm getting emotional again just writing this.


The way Jonathan fits into this is great as well. We have seen, thanks to some good character development in earlier episodes, that he is not some domineering bully – he can actually be a very nice person, and even has his own insecurities. This is simply a topic that he is ignorant/misled on, as I and many others are as well. But at the end of the tribal, we see him wrap an arm around Drea – recognizing that what he said was hurtful to her, and wanting to comfort her, even if he still doesn't fully understand why it was hurtful. Or maybe he was just giving her some much-needed warmth in the freezing rain.


Either way, this is what is amazing about this show. People with different views on some of the most important topics are forced to interact, comfort each other, even rely upon each other to survive. It's the ultimate experience for understanding more about others, and hopefully growing as a person – a distillation of the most fundamental human experiences. To what extent that growth will happen for Jonathan remains to be seen, but as viewers, we are fortunate to be able to partake in similar journeys as we learn from people who we might never meet in real life.


Thank you Drea for sharing your thoughts so eloquently. (Thank you to Maryanne as well – I have not connected with her as much, but what she had to say was also excellent.) And major props to the production team for a great cast and great editing this season. Altogether, it produced what I think is one of the best sequences in the entire show's history – and for me personally, a life-changing" moment.

My response to above

First off I think this is a great counter to the above reddit post https://thefederalist.com/2022/05/03/no-survivor-not-everyone-is-subconsciously-racist/

Now for my direct take: I cannot make that leap that /dmcarefuldriver took in the bolded text and on reddit. I see where he is coming from, and I am glad he can see what I saw and make that leap. Yet I do not support what happened on that episode and it furthers makes me upset with how woke Survivor has become. Like a former contestant said it is just woke theater and like Jeff said it is Survivor trying to stay relevant by letting social media radlibs give them ideas and keep an outdated, past its prime show going for at least one more decade.

Maryanne wouldn't have to vote out 3 black people in a row if CBS didn't mandate 50 percent non white people be cast on all their shows including Survivor.  With such a change there will be many instances of blacks being voted out consecutively in a row as happened there creating these triggering moments like what happened with Maryanne

MLK Jr taught us to judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin. This CRT stuff that forces people to look at race first, even from a nice, well intented, uplifting beautiful woman like Drea is regressive and reactionary. We can never move on in such a way, we may go in a new direction but it will lead to the same place.   Our country is going to be majority BIPOC, plus races will continue to mix for centuries, that is the natural and good way to move forward in this world, not through CRT regressiveness 

So Survivor should drop their race quotas and when our country will become thankfully majority BIPOC by 2040, then Survivor will naturally be casting BIPOC majority casts but naturally since BIPOC will be the majority in the US then

Now I will not be so nice:

I will never watch Survivor or Big Brother again until they undo their so called 'diversity pledge/initiative' ,and go back to casting the way they did from Survivor Fiji through Survivor Winners at War and from Big Brother 2 through Big Brother 2019 respectively. Those two series have gone woke and should be cancelled and put out of their misery. 

I will preface what I say with this: It is anti blackness structures that cause all our racial tensions and issues, (I am an Afro Pessimist), and as per Professor Frank Wilder, we have to negate the negation and have a true black revolution (BLA) like in order to do so. So that is the bigger picture to the stuff that the so called Black Survivor 'Collective alliance' were yammering about in 2020. But unless they see racial injustices through a prism of Afro Pessimism they will never be able to fix anything; being woke like they were then will never solve anything, nor will whining or calling for racial quotas on freaking reality shows past their prime.

On Survivor Marquesas I sympathize with the talks Sean R and Vecepia had, but to take that and instead of moving beyond that to see the scope of their issues through Afro Pessimism, Dr Adolph Reed, MLK Jr, Burgress Owens, or through a non neoliberal color blind way , they sadly and pathetically turned to wokeness and that isn't cool and is in fact heavily counter productive at best.

To the so called Black Survivor 'Collective alliance' formed in 2020 (worse name for an alliance since Big Brother 2012's Quack Pack alliance), the issue is not white supremacy or whiteness it is anti blackness. Whites are by their very nature anti black structures and until we negate that negation or something similar (that isn't woke) you will never achieve what you sought out to on Survivor or BB. That is the pessimism part of Afro Pessimism bros and broettes. 

So many Survivor and Big Brother fans have waited so long to get on the show but some of them who happen to be white won't get that chance because of the color of their skin due to this stupid woke idpol by Survivor and Big Brother. 

Imagine if your favorite non BIPOC Survivor contestants were passed over and not casted due to a BIPOC getting casted instead due to racial quotas? 

Remember when Survivor was rightfully criticized for recruiting contestants? Well this is just as bad but at least I am used to it, and I refuse to watch this clown show until they end it. I have voted Survivor off the island and I have evicted Big Brother from the house. shame shame shame shame on them

The woke radlibs exploited George Floyd and Breanna Taylor's death to usher in woke hollow meaningless changes that will not only not help poc but actually make racism even worse by forcing people to see race which flies in the face (or mask) of what MLK Jr said 'judge by the CONTENT of their character not by the color of their skin'. Shame on Survivor and Big Brother for their racist policies they implemented in late 2020.

First off Philip Sheppard is a nutball, lunatic,weirdo . Just watch Survivor RI and you'll see that this man has no business lecturing CBS about anything. He sounded like a child playing CIA agent (maybe he is a woke CIA agent trying to make Survivor woke for the Neolib vanguard?), constantly talking to his deceased native American ancestor (why isn't Phillip fighting for more Native American contestants on Survivor since he is part Native American like his dead ancestor), annoying the heck out of everyone, treating his alliance members in Caramoan like trash with his extreme Boston Rob like micromanaging etc.

J'Tia was a troll, she spilled the rice in her season costing her tribe food. She wasn't a victim of so called 'racism' on her season. She was spared in her tribal council and got another shot which she blew. She shouldn't criticize Survivor for her shortcomings she should criticize herself and get better as a person. 

Yes she is a Ph.D but that doesn't give her immunity to create revisionism to pretend she was a victim of racism on her season when she clearly wasn't. And to think I rooted for her to not get voted out at her last 2 tribal councils after seeing her play the race card leaves me sad and regretful of supporting her 

The so called Black Survivor collective alliance was wrong to push for Survivor to become woke. Notice how they used the word 'equitable' , equitable is the closest description I can give to what wokeness is. I support equality but I do not support equitableness. Survivor should be equal but not equitable. I am going to break up that so called Black Survivor collective alliance and blindside the woke changes they plagued Survivor with. It won't be the first time Philip was blindsided (he was also blindsided on Survivor Caramoan in an epic and cathartic blindside that unlike Phil never gets old)

I wonder if Phillip consulted with his dead Native American ancestor in him trying to push Survivor to become more woke. Sean Rector said he wasn't on Survivor again due to it not being more woke, and that is wrong. If someone needs to have more of a certain race on Survivor to go on that show then that is wrong no matter what race feels that way

Yes this was a good convo https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/udkjll/to_critics_of_this_current_season_and_woke/, but that is leagues different than the woke nonsense spewed by ex Survivor and ex Big Brother losers contestants in 2020. Sean Rector didn't get back on Survivor because he simply


Survivor rightfully already added more diversity in 2007 starting with Survivor Fiji, that was good enough.

Survivor and Big Brother are wrong to have QUOTAS, they are wrongly casting players since 2020 based on the color of the skin and not on the content of their character or their inward traits. They are forcing people to see race and thus they are actually keeping racism alive.

I echo the criticism of Survivor and Big Brother's wokeness initiative here and here and more anti woke Survivor stuff here

I plan on forcing Survivor and Big Brother to end their wokeness initiative and to go back to Survivor Fiji-Survivor Winners at War type of color blind casting, or at worst have them use Survivor Fiji type of casting (which while it is not woke it still promotes diversity the correct way)

When whites do become the minority in the US then naturally Survivor, Big Brother , TV shows, movies, jobs will be majority of BIPOC but that will and should be naturally

"On top of that, she believes in God, I believe in God, and we're bound by Christ and that's a stronger bond, stronger than race, stronger than anything."  That is how you should be

But then again quotas for BIPOC are cool because they have a bit of an old school quality to them so that is a minor plus with CBS's so called diversity initiative

I mean Jeff Probst himself said that he doesn't pay attention to race, gender etc but obviously he does. 

Here are some decent convos about this topic which touch on good points across the board (but take it with a grain of salt): https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/xvnqru/whats_the_deal_with_survivor_43_losing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/udtc5t/vecepia_and_sean_race_conversation_2002/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/xk852f/jeff_probst_says_cbs_diversity_pledge_forever/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother/comments/jr4hud/cbs_pledges_survivor_big_brother_casts_will_now/

Most poc don't like these hollow meaningless changes like 'diversity pledges'. One FSU academic said it best, renaming streets isn't going to defeat Capitalism which is the real cause of inequality etc. Moreover, poc wanted change, and the mainstream media and Democrats left BLM out in the dust after they were of no use to them anymore (something the Democrats have done to blacks for decades). Poc wanted real lasting change and instead they got Aunt Jemima cancelled. 

I am against Survivor becoming woke and I agree with this article on it (every word) https://thefederalist.com/2021/12/23/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-an-un-woke-survivor-season/

I am against getting rid of the 'come in guys' . The cast was fine with that word in S41 , even Evvie Jagoda was fine with it. Nearly everyone uses 'guys' when talking to people in general, and it is stupid and unpragmatic to be PC about it until we abolish patriarchy (oh he was doing it for his daughter and fantasizing about retroactively making it changed to 'come on in ladies' in 2001 https://reelrundown.com/news/jeff-probst-survivor   Ok I give Jeff a pass now on this wokeness about that phrase /s

I especially agree with this stuff from said article:

And while host and producer Jeff Probst often brags that what happens on the island is a reflection of the outside world to some degree, the show’s producers and even Probst himself are involving themselves to move the leftist culture agenda in the show forward. In the first episode of Season 41, Probst’s iconic catchphrase, “Come on in, guys,” was questioned by the host himself, who asked competitors if he should change it to fit the radical gender ideology that many institutions have accepted.

“Everywhere I go as a black woman, I’m a black woman first… There’s no question that we’re coming out of a year like 2020 where people are just now becoming conscious of the fact that being black actually means something. It has this currency that can kill you… literally kill you. Coming here to play this is about uplifting other black people and giving black people something to root for, [aside from] everything else that’s out there that’s killing us,” castaway Liana Wallace said, invoking the familiar critical race theory that says life should be viewed through a race-based lens.

J'tia got what she deserved in Survivor Cagayan for dumping the rice which 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Positional explaining

More tho09009

Libby Leftiti